Archives of the Congregational Memorial Hall Trust
In 1662 nearly 2,000 puritan ministers, who refused to conform to the newly-restored Anglican church, were ejected from their livings. In 1862, when the bicentenary of “Black Bartholomew” came to be celebrated, it was felt that the occasion ought to be marked in a more permanent manner than books, pamphlets or a series of lectures could provide. This desire led to the erection of the Congregational Memorial Hall, Farringdon Street, which was finally opened in 1875. For some ninety years this provided a home for the Congregational Library, the Congregational Union, and any number of associated enterprises.
The Congregational Memorial Hall Trust, which owned the Memorial Hall and still owns the Congregational Library, was nevertheless quite independent from the Congregational Union. Thus the archives of the two bodies, though both deposited with the Library, remain quite distinct.
The archives include: a List of Subscribers to the Memorial Hall Building Fund; Minutes of the Memorial Hall Trust 1862-1998, including a history of its foundation; copies of deeds, leases, etc., of the Memorial Hall Trust, including building contract, 1865-77; details of building expenditure 1871-77; the Deed of Foundation of the Memorial Hall 1872, and other deeds; Minute Books of Trustees’ Meetings 1873-1946; the Minute Book of the Congregational Library Joint Committee 1893-1939; the Minute Book of the Memorial Hall Trust Finance Sub-Committee 1915-25, and of the Memorial Hall House Committee 1915-46. There are miscellaneous files, plans, account books, and printed documents,including ones illustrating the development and sale of Caroone House, the office block built on the site of the old Memorial Hall, and its eventual sale, 1998.
Access to Memorial Hall Archives is restricted. They may only be inspected by permission of the Trustees of the Congregational Memorial Hall Trust.
A brief handlist of the Archives may be consulted.